Padawan Yogi Learning the ways of Samadhi and the Force

13 March 2011

Naked Yoga

Filed under: Yoga — Tags: , , , , — Rick Romig @ 21:45

In the March 2011 issue of The Bulletin, I found an article about a the creation of a nude Hatha Yoga class in New Jersey. It doesn’t say whether or not the class was mixed gender but I get the impression it was since with was attended by members or Sky Farm and Rock Lodge. Few articles I read about nude yoga are mixed classes so if this was a mixed class, it’s quite refreshing.

Why practice naked?

Beth [Nolan] personally enjoys the physical freedom of nudity n all her activities and seeks out safe places and spaces that allow that freedom to happen. Now she has created a safe, warm place to spend time together, using the tools of yoga, to focus us inward, allowing our breath to keep us in the moment and watch our mind. Naked yoga helps heal the mind of the constraints of shame and poor self-image and any other beliefs that limit us from our true and natural self.

Naked Yoga by Barry Murphy, The Bulletin, page 13

I see both naturism and yoga as means to finding our natural states and I enjoy practicing the two together. For me it’s a perfect match.

Namaste

7 Comments

1. I really enjoy practicing nude yoga. I do it on the beach in the summer time. During the winter time I practice naked yoga at home and in the sauna. Some critics of nude yoga are saying that it is sexual and it’s impossible to concentrate on asanas. I would tell that it is the best way to relax and meditate and sometimes the first path to a dedicated practice.
    Unfortunately we don’t have nude yoga classes in my city, so I practice yoga in fitness classes as everybody else wearing clothes. But I always follow the rule: the less clothes I have the better meditation I can achive.
    Everybody should remember that first Indians who actually introduced yoga were practicing it just without any clothes.

Comment by Focus — 23 March 2011 @ 08:31

2. Beth Nolan’s class is mixed and at the March class there were 18 people plus Beth. She is now extended the class to 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month thru May. She will then determine a summer schedule.
    So far the program is a great success. Call to join us Space is now limited

Comment by barry murphy — 26 March 2011 @ 18:23

3. Nude yoga boosts confidence by Seth Bracken, QSaltLake, 03/31/2011

It’s an excellent, positive and informative article about John Cottrell’s nude yoga classes in Salt Lake City. Mr. Cottrell explains that it’s about self-image and building self-confidence in a safe and comfortable environment. I think the author captured the essense of nude yoga when he wrote:

As I moved through the poses and listened to the sultry voice of the instructor telling me to remember to breathe deeply, the nakedness of the moment became secondary. It wasn’t as much about being nude, as it was about trying to focus on my center.

When doing yoga, whether nude or clothed, one’s focus is on one’s breathing, the poses, calming the mind. What one is wearing or how others in the room look is unimportant. Yoga frees us from bondage, from being tied to patterns of behavior. In many ways clothing can be a form of bondage, a behavioral pattern to which we are tied. When I practice in the nude, not only am I unbinding myself from these patterns, I am not bound by my clothing either.

Comment by Rick Romig — 31 March 2011 @ 19:55

4. New Naked Yoga Class in Boulder is all the rage. Via Claire Lochridge on Apr 1, 2010

Another good, positive article about a mixed-gender class.

I have to say it is liberating to practice yoga in your birthday suit.

Comment by Rick Romig — 1 April 2011 @ 05:11

5. Beth Nolan’s Naked Yoga class received a mention in the April 2011 edition of AANR-East’s newsletter, Speaking Naturally (Vol 2, No. 6). The class is proving to be quite popular. I wonder if I can find a studio/instructor who’d be interested in offering a mix-gender naked yoga class.

Comment by Rick Romig — 1 April 2011 @ 08:26

6. I’ve found through experience that some poses are not conducive to being done in the nude. Among them are Chaturanga Dandasana, Urdhva Mukha Svanasana and Bhujangasana, especially the flow from Chaturanga Dandasana to Urdhva Mukha Svanasana. Just be aware of this when doing Sun/Moon Salutations.

Comment by Rick Romig — 9 April 2011 @ 12:18

7. Update on my previous comment. Using a yoga towel to cover the mat helps quite a bit. I’ve been doing sun salutations this way without incident. Locust and Bow Poses have not been a problem either.

Comment by Rick Romig — 17 May 2011 @ 16:07

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress